Give this a listen

I'm not the kind of guy who gets all bandwagon-y, but I have to admit I may be coming down with Obamania.

Yesterday I turned on the radio as I was getting ready to shave, and Obama was making his major speech on race. We all know the man is a great speechmaker, but within a minute or two, I was transfixed not just by his technique but by his words. In my 30+ years of paying attention to politics, I have never heard a candidate tell it like it is the way this guy does.



Most amazingly, even though some pundits want to say this controversy will sink BO's campaign, he refuses to throw the sometimes-angry Rev. Wright under the bus. How many politicians have you experienced who would stand up and deal with these issues head on? How can a guy expect to get elected when he's running around being so straightforward?

Some commentators say the Rev. Wright issues and this speech to address it will unify the conservative base against Obama. So what? Did somebody think BO was going to get a lot of conservative votes if he becomes the Democratic nominee? After all the speechmaking, his policies will be liberal, and people will tend to fall into their familiar ideological positions. What this speech may really do is to unify the left wing in a way that hasn't been seen in at least 40 years.

And by the way, when was the last time you heard a politician quote Faulkner?...catch me, I may swoon....

Comments

DodgerScott said…
Wow. I listened to every word for the entire 30 minutes. OK, I've changed my mind. Hillary, you can get out of the race now.

Popular posts from this blog

How I have neglected my blog and the sadness that results

George Washington's crotch and other curiosities

Indians owned slaves? Did I sleep through that history lesson?